Dan Conway’s The Good Steward

Dan Conway’s The Good Steward
Click on image to view website

Saturday, February 3, 2018


I am in Rome, one of my favorite places in the world. It’s not great weather (cold and drizzly) but still it is enchanting.

There are many Romes, of course. The Rome of history, the Rome of St. Peter and the Vatican, the Rome of culture and fashion, the Rome of wonderful food, crazy drivers and the mysterious Italian government.  All mix together to form a city of fascination and romance. I love it!

This afternoon I’m having lunch at one of the best restaurants in Rome, Da Roberto on the Via Borgo near the Vatican. My dear friend Archbishop Daniel introduced me to Da Roberto in 1996 and I’ve come back frequently. The specialty is pasta alla norcina which literally melts in your mouth! This visit is in the archbishop’s honor. He passed away on January 25 and was buried at Saint Meinrad on February 1st.

Later, I will take a taxi  to CESA, the Bio-Medical Center in Trigoria, where my friend Father Cassian Folsom, founder of the Benedictine monastery in Norcia, is recovering from knee replacement surgery. The surgery was successful and he is now in rehab. I’m eager to see him.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment