Dan Conway’s The Good Steward

Dan Conway’s The Good Steward
Click on image to view website

Sunday, July 8, 2018

What does St. Paul mean by “a thorn in the flesh”? And why would God refuse to remove it?

Paul acknowledges that he is not perfect, that he has weaknesses that are both spiritual (the tendency to become “too elated” (too full of himself?) and material (the thorn in his flesh). Here we have one of the greatest saints, a bold missionary whose influence continues to evangelize, admitting—even boasting about— his weakness. Why? To illustrate that God’s power overcomes all human weakness.

As Pope Francis tells us in Gaudete et Exsultate, holiness is not just for an elite group of super Christians. It is for all of us weak, sinful people. God’s grace is sufficient for us. His power is made perfect in our weakness. 

That’s why we should not be discouraged or lose hope. God’s mercy surrounds us. It lifts us up when we fall and, if we let it, the grace of God gives us everything we need to carry on. 

What does St. Paul mean by “a thorn in the flesh”? And why would God refuse to remove it?

A thorn in the flesh is any appetite or desire or tendency that urges us to do what we know we should not do. Why doesn’t God remove these thorns? He has given us the gift of freedom and the grace to resist temptation by surrendering our will to him in order that the power of Christ may dwell with us. For when we’re weak, then we are strong. 

A reading from the second 
Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians12:7-10
Brothers and sistersThat I, Paul, might not become too elated, because of the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment