Dan Conway’s The Good Steward

Dan Conway’s The Good Steward
Click on image to view website

Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Monks of Norcia continue to be signs of hope for all. Their monastery was totally destroyed a year ago, but they have built a new one. UIODG (That in all things God may be glorified).

I have written a new book, The Benedictine Way, which will be published soon. In it, I offer reflections on my 50 years' experience with men and women who follow The Rule of Benedict.

Monks seek God in community according to the spiritual principles and very practical guidelines of St. Benedict of Nursia, Patron Saint of Europe and Father of Western Monasticism. Benedict's home town (Norcia), and the Basilica that honors his birthplace, were devastated by earthquakes last year, but both are now being rebuilt as signs of hope and renewal.

Here is a brief selection from The Benedictine Way:

Once it is understood and lived authentically, The Benedictine Way  is truly a way of peace and joy. That never happens overnight. It takes time to absorb the principles and practices of Benedictine spirituality and to integrate them into our minds and hearts. This is true for vowed monks whose whole lives are dedicated to living the Rule of Benedict in a particular place and time. It’s also true for ordinary people who are not called to be monks but who are seeking ways to live the Gospel that can help us cope with the madness of everyday living “in the world.”

After nearly half a century of close association with men and women who follow the Rule of St. Benedict, I know that the Benedictine way of life has changed me—transformed me actually—from a confused, self-absorbed man into a man who sincerely seeks God’s will and who tries to live the Gospel faithfully, if imperfectly, one day at a time. I know that I have matured and grown as a disciple of Jesus Christ because of the influence of monks who were, and still are, my friends and mentors in the spiritual life. 

Of course, I’m not there yet. The spiritual journey that is The Benedictine Way lasts a lifetime. God willing, I’ll still be listening, learning and growing on my death bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment