Dan Conway’s The Good Steward

Dan Conway’s The Good Steward
Click on image to view website

Sunday, November 26, 2017



Pope Francis makes me uncomfortable. With all his talk of God’s love and mercy, with all his emphasis on peace and joy, this pope makes me feel embarrassed and guilty. 

He accuses me (rightly) of the sin of indifference. He chastises me for neglecting the sacrament of penance, and he challenges me to get off my couch and go to the peripheries to become involved with the poor and the sick, the homeless and the imprisoned. 

Why can’t I simply be content living a good life? Why can’t I simply keep the commandments and follow the path of least resistance? The world is a dangerous place. Why not stay in my comfort zone where there is peace and quiet and security?

The words and symbolic gestures of Pope Francis are unsettling. They prick my conscience and interfere with my self-satisfied life. I’d rather not go there, thank you. Things are fine just the way they are. 

But, of course, there’s the Gospel for today (Matthew 25:31-46). “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, I’ll and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.”

When did I do these things? More importantly, when did I fail to do these things?

Pope Francis invites me to surrender and let the words and example of Jesus guide me on the way to joy. The words and actions of Pope Francis, like the words and example of Jesus, make me uncomfortable. 

Help me, Lord. I’m not good at this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment